Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ryan gets a lesson on Communism.













These Digital Video Discs are available on every street 
corner and in most convenience stores. I got all of the 
above for 20 yuan (just short of $3). This phenomenon is
so abundant that technology retailers (i.e. BestBuy, Circuit
City) do not offer DVD's in their stores because that cannot
compete with the knockoffs. 

I had a talk with Harry about the rampant trademark 
infringement. He told me, in a rather proud manner, that
since China is indeed communist, any and all intellectual
properties are free to be exploited be the People as it leads to 
the greater good of the community as a whole (really?). I am 
perplexed by this,  mostly because I grew up in a capitalist state 
and I am an industrial designer who, if for nothing else, is valued 
by the strength and merits of his intellectual properties. 

Having said that, I am going to take advantage of my $0.90
DVD's. 

Maybe I'll send Sean Penn a check when I get back home 
if I still feel guilty.

2 comments:

  1. bluray too eh?
    i want to see milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you do, don't eat the MILK DVD.

    There's melamine in it.

    ReplyDelete